• If you crossed over the Harbor Bridge to get to PIER 99, you just drove over the 2nd highest bridge in Texas. (the highest bridge is in Port Arthur!)
• The Karankawa Indians were the first natives of this beach.
• The Corpus Christi seawall was designed by Mount Rushmore sculptor, Gutzon Borgium.
• The U.S.S. Lexington is as tall as a 19 story building and as long as three New York City blocks.
• Bette Nesmith Graham, the inventor of liquid paper (what is today called White-Out), is from Corpus Christi.
• Corpus Christi was originally named Col. Kinney’s Trading Post.
• It would take 11 Empire State Buildings, stacked one on top of the other, to measure the Gulf of Mexico at its deepest point.
• The Lexington has sailed enough miles to circle the globe eight times and can produce enough electricity to power a city of 150,000.
• Tejas is the Spanish spelling of the Caddo word “taysha”, which means “friend” or “ally”
• Texas is 267,000 square-miles…stretching 770 miles from east to west and some 800 miles from north to south. The Texas border is 3,800 miles long!
• The highest point in the state is Guadalupe Peak at 8,751 ft.
• The state instrument is the Guitar and the state snack is chips and salsa
• The Bluebonnet is the State Flower and the Mockingbird is the State Bird.
• A coastal live oak located near Fulton is the oldest tree in the state and it has an estimated age of more than 1,500 years!
• Six flags have flown over Texas soil…Spain, France, Mexico, the Republic of Texas, the Confederate States of America and the United States.
• The term “Watch your P’s & Q’s” is an old English pub term for someone who has had too many Pints or Quarts of beer…so please watch your P’s & Q’s & if you have any questions…refer to RULE #4.
• There are 2 things you can’t do with you elbow – kiss it or touch your ear.
• Statistics show that 75% of you are going to try it anyway.
• Alaska is the state with the highest percentage of people who walk to work.
• I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid aooccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig, huh?